This project consisted of transforming the 4-acre public waterfront space in Downtown Sandusky into a park, with green space and streetscaping features.
The improvement project was part of the City’s overall goal to improve waterfront access citywide with the activation and improvement of the City’s waterfront parks.
Extensive improvements of the project included:
- Adding a green space for passive recreation opportunities
- Removing parking — dropping from about 240 spaces to roughly 100
- Adding a multipurpose building for events
- Upgrading handicap accessibility for both commuters and pedestrians who can more easily enter a boardwalk area
- Creating a boardwalk spanning the entire pier’s perimeter
- Enhancing the Homeland Security areas necessary to preserve ferry service to Pelee Island, the only public waterway transportation operation reaching U.S. territory
- Improving the ticketing, drop-off, and waiting environment for traffic boarding or departing the Goodtime, Jet Express, and Pelee Islander